Tuesday 26 March 2013

Daphne And Dr. Crane.

These two beloved characters are from the popular American TV Sitcom "Frasier". I have never watched the show before until I came to university and my boyfriend made me watch it. To my surprise, it's actually quite funny and good.

Daphne Moon is the carer of Martin Crane and the housekeeper of Dr. Frasier Crane. When she first came onto the scene, Dr. Niles Crane (Frasier's brother) develops a crush on her and he keeps this up for SEVEN years.

SEVEN YEARS?!  I think I would've given up. It's a long time.

However, there were reasons as to why it took so long for them to be together.
1) Niles was married to Maris, his wife at the time when he first met Daphne.
2) When they split up in Series 3, they didn't divorce until Series 6! He had still hoped they'd get back together. Maris was very controlling and Niles was very spineless. 
3) Daphne was dating other men.
4) She didn't take an interest in Niles romantically yet until she found out Niles was in love with her.
5) When Niles and Maris did eventually divorce, Daphne was dating Donny and then got engaged to him.

After seven years of Niles sorting out his complicated love life, he needed those years to become a man. He needed to build his confidence and a backbone. Niles and Daphne did get together in the end, but it was on Daphne's wedding day that they realised they were meant for each other. 

I've got to give credit to the man. That's dedication. He is such an awkward character. I think 'shy' is the word. 

I've known boys in Secondary school who have loved their crush since Year 7 and it is only in Year 10/11 that they start dating them. I don't know what delays the process but I can think of a few reasons as to why it doesn't happen:
1) Shyness - Confidence would be the main issue.
2) "She's out of my league." - One of the most common reasons. I don't think there is such thing. It's all in the head. I think they should give it a go, and if they get rejected then move on. No need to dwell on it.
3) They wait until the girl has a crush back - They're waiting on chance.
4) She is taken at the time.

Because of these, men can miss their opportunity and regret not having done anything. 
But I'm going to sneak in a 5th element and its not too late for most of the men: 

5) If you're a good guy - Like the saying, "The good guy never gets the girl."

Well, that seems inaccurate. A girl may like the idea of a bad boy but they crave a good boy. 

It's like they say, watch out for the quiet ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment