Wednesday 27 February 2013

5 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was 16.

My life so far is going to plan. Better than expected in some areas. I didn't realise my life right now would make me as content as I am, despite the rough journey of getting here.

It's been 4 years since I was a naive 16-year-old, but there are some things I wish I knew at that age and here they are:

1) Don't let love take over your life and screw you - From the age of 15 to 19. I have had two long term relationships. Both men who I thought were lovely, had manipulated me and weren't the grown men I thought they were. My life revolved around my first relationship, my former boyfriend was my world and I was in love. The majority of my time back then was spent with him, instead of studying for my GCSEs and picking out the ideal A-Level choices. Then came along my second relationship, I thought I had learnt from my first by not letting relationships take over but I did it again. Big mistake. By this time, I was studying my A-Levels and I pooped my pants every time I got a rejected offer. Again, love conquered all.

2) Study harder -  This is the most cliched saying ever, but it's annoying true and we never learn. During my relationships, I should've studied harder. Harder for my GCSEs and harder for my A-Levels. Perhaps, if I did, I would've gotten a Grade B in Maths and my options would be broader - but I only received a C. I don't think I worked hard enough for that opportunity. However, I had learnt from the millionth mistake and after a year of doing A-Levels at Sixth Form (I stayed for my former boyfriend - BIG mistake), I applied for Exeter College and started fresh. During my two years at college, I studied very hard. One piece of advice I would give to my 16-year-old self - Go straight to Exeter College! Making new friends and teachers was like a breath of fresh air.

3) Be patient -  From 16-19, getting into University seemed like it was light years away but time went quickly. Whenever I didn't receive the grade I needed for certain universities due to tariff points, my heart sank a little. Until it was in the pit of my stomach. I worked at my parents business everyday, as well as studying for my exams just to keep myself busy and I was in Newquay holidaying with the girls when I found out I got into my first choice. I was estatic. The feeling is very rewarding afterwards. Like they say, patience is a virtue.

4) Princesses aren't real. Think about what you want to do in life - This was one of the most hardest thing in life. Teachers, midwife, journalist, mummy. I couldn't pick. I do wish I had the motivation to get work experience at Primary Schools. I wanted to be a teacher since a few people have told me I'm quite good with children. Work experience is key. I was so lazy.

5) How to put make-up on - The essentials of being a girl. I never wore make-up and kept natural. When eyeliner touched my face, I had looked like I had been punched in the face. That was the quote my own mother had used. I did an awful job. Thank god for YouTube, and my mummy.

Even though I wish I had known about these things, I wouldn't change what had happened. I've learnt from my mistakes. These events in life so far that I have experienced were meant to happen, in order for me to be how I am today. If they didn't, I don't know whether I'd be as content as I am. I used to be so insecure about my looks, my body, only a few friends, my grades, but none of that worries me no more. I've moved on.

It's been 4 years... Wow. Hasn't that gone quickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment