Monday 11 February 2013

What Beats Horse Meat?

Recently in the news, Tescos have been found using horse meat in ready meals and it has caused a furore nationally.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I'm Chinese so i've tried most things (e.g. chicken feet, sea cucumber - a fish that looks like a worm in the ocean, deer, shark, you name it), i'm quite open to trying new things. A Chinese persons motto to food is 'if it has four legs, then it is edible.'

If I have eaten a bit of horse, well, I can't do anything about it now, its long gone now. The French have been eating it for years since the war so it seems reasonable edible.

However, one animal I will not eat is dogs. I don't follow everything my people spit out. Dogs are cute. A friend once asked me when we were both 16 whether I eat dogs, she assumed that because I was Chinese and therefore made a generalisation. I told her I was really offended. I thought she knew me better. My friend back then was a bit of a 'maneater', it was like me asking her if she ate men for breakfast because she had a 'big' appetite for the male species. I can imagine her reaction would be offended. I never forgave her.

People have probably found worse than horses in their food, for example, pubic hair, nails, bugs, that brain found in a KFC meal, a rat baked in that bread which was ALSO by Tesco.

This horse meat situation really affects the younger generation because they love animals and wouldn't imagine eating a horse that they rode last year. It'd be a horror story to them.

On the other hand, it could be worse. It could be human flesh. How would we react? Would we be cannibals if we found that contaminated meal rather tasty without knowing what was inside it? I don't want to be around when that story happens. It'd be a horror story to my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment