Tuesday 22 January 2013

My First Semester.

My first semester has included many other firsts. 

My first week in Southampton. My first lesson. My first assignment. But no sign of a 1st in my grade just yet. It wasn't my first time panicking about deadlines either. I should be considered an expert in that area and I have never learnt from my first mistake. 

University makes you grow up. Being in Southampton makes you grow up even more. You're away from home. Mother isn't there to cook for you anymore and the only person that will do that for you is the kettle. Pot noodles are gold. Instant meals are essential. My sleep is the most important activity in my life. My bed has become my best friend. 

Other elements of being a university student has also made me see life in a different light. You don't take anything for granted anymore. Family becomes so high up in priorities that its ranking goes into the minus numbers. Before university, I wanted independence. Badly. But when you've been away from family for a quarter of the year, you miss them and its certain aspects of them that you thoroughly miss.

For example, I still see my 12-year-old sister as the little cherub when I first saw her, but now, since I'm away from her, I don't get to see her grow up. Every time I go home, she gets taller and taller. Creeping an inch up every time. I'm tempted to wear heels around the house, while she trotts around bare-footed, accessorised with a smug smile. It's not fair. I'm only little. Other people know this as well. In my halls, for the first time in my life, I got called 'short'. I correct them and say 'I am petite'. It sounds cuter and I won't sound like a midget if I get called the 'S' word. 

Oh yeah, I rant a bit more now. More things to rant about in a big city. Especially about people calling me short. 

No comments:

Post a Comment