Sunday 6 January 2013

The Eyes Says It All.

I'm Chinese and proud of my heritage.
The most distinctive feature of a Chinese person is their eyes because they are small.

I have abnormally big eyes for a Chinese person and so do some of my other family members, whilst the rest have the stereotypical image of an Asian people. I love them all regardless of what they look like.

However, I've noticed that having small eyes is deemed negative and unattractive.
For example, I 've seen girls take pictures of themselves, observe the picture afterwards and complain that they look Chinese.

What do I think? I feel offended. What's wrong with looking Chinese?

I remember a story my aunt told me about the time she was traveling on the train to the Lake District for a wedding with her two black friends, and she had her back turn to this man in the carriage (her friends were facing her in a four-seater). She overheard this man having a conversation with his friend in the seats behind her, about how his girlfriend had put too much make-up on and it made her look Chinese. Now, since he only saw my aunts black hair, he assumed that she was black (because she was with her friends), and so when he made that comment, my aunts ears flared up. She turned around and confronted him, asking him what that comment was supposed to mean. He didn't have an answer and realised his mistake. As an apology, he bought her and her friends champagne.

Learning from that, i'm not expecting anything luxurious in return if I confront somebody. I just want them to understand that its not something you say.

My mother has always taught me to think before I speak and I try my best to follow that rule and so should other people.

Is it racist? I'm still debating on that. Maybe a bit.
Since i'm from the minority race, they shouldn't be condemning something thats part of us.

We are who we are.

1 comment: