Sunday 20 January 2013

V is for Valentine's Day. Not Vom.

I Love St. Valentine's Day.

Hearts everywhere. Everyone being mushy. Chick flicks on TV. It really is a special day.
I'm not being biased by the way. I've always been like this, whether I was single or taken.
I love the atmosphere. I'm in awe of loved up couples. I feel happy for them.

However, it is also a day where people get emotionally depressed and become quite negative. I've heard some girls say that whenever they see a couple in love, it makes them want to be sick.

Ok, when I first heard that, I thought how silly. They want to projectile actual vomit in public when they see a couple? Ew. I know it is a phrase that people use to express their disgust but they are like the Scrooge of Valentine's Day.

I don't know if this is whether they are unhappily single or hate romance but it is a special day for everyone. It will even warm up the coldest of hearts.

For 16 years of my life, I never got a Valentine's Day card or had a secret admirer. I was a young girl who was single with no cards to show. I didn't mind. I got excited when other girls received heart shaped cards in class. Perhaps I'm a hopeless romantic. I knew I was still young, so I wasn't worried about not being loved on just one day.

I never had a date either. I didn't mind. I wasn't the prettiest of things when I was younger so I didn't expect anything from boys.

However, the problem with Valentine's Day is that once a boy or a girl gives a card to whoever they like. What happens next? Are they hoping their crush guesses who sent it and prays for their love in return? It is the waiting game.

If you like someone, then tell them. Don't wait for the 14th February to land on your doorstep. I know rejection is on the cards but at least you can say you gave it a go and move on with the next person, instead of sending cards once a year to the same person for the next 10 years, wondering whether you'll be an item. Get balls. YOLO.

On the other hand, I'll give them credit for keeping the effort up for 10 years if that happens.

If you're still as grumpy as a cat on V. Day, don't fret.

Single? There is someone out there for you. But don't sit there, waiting for someone to like you. You have to make the effort if you want the best catch in the sea.

Not so single? Well, not much I can say. It is expensive! Spending so, so much. Restaurant prices are extortionate. Gifts are overpriced. Cards are getting bigger each year. Oh dear. 

Pay attention boys and girls, crying is the new vomming.

No comments:

Post a Comment